Message from the Chair
Kelly T. Scalise
Liskow & Lewis
New Orleans, LA
The Younger Lawyers Division ("YLD") consists of FBA members who (i) are 36 years of age and under or (ii) have been admitted to practice for three years or less. The purpose of the YLD is to increase the interest of younger lawyers in the FBA's activities; conduct programs of interest and value to younger lawyers; and to assist in the establishment, improvement, and coordination of active younger lawyers in each Chapter and Circuit of the FBA. The YLD is governed by a National Board of Directors, with five officers.
The YLD is a vibrant, growing section of the FBA. We are a resource to Chapters for instituting and fostering their own YLD’s. Coextensive with the FBA’s Back to Basics campaign, the YLD is focused on “R & R”: recruitment and retention. We welcome all new members and invite our current members to participate in our programming and initiatives.
Some highlights of our year include:
• In September 2012, at the Annual Convention in San Diego, five outstanding younger lawyers received the Younger Federal Lawyer Award. The Awards are designed to recognize younger federal lawyers who have attained high standards of professional achievement. To be eligible for this award, an attorney must be employed by the United States government for at least three years, either in a military or civilian context, and the attorney must be no older than 35 years of age. A panel of U.S. District and Magistrate Judges reviewed the nominations, and Samantha Chaifetz
, Civil Division, USDOJ; Martin Estrada
, U.S. Attorney's Office, Central District of California; Major Jaclyn C. Grieser
, Judge Advocate General's Corps, U.S. Army; Peter Mazza
, U.S. Attorney's Office, Southern District of California; and Andrew Strelka
, Tax Division, USDOJ received the award at a luncheon. [View slideshow]
• The Thurgood A. Marshall Memorial Moot Court Competition
will be held April 4-5, 2013, in Washington, DC. The competition will feature teams from law schools across the country, culminating in a final round held in the Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces. We invite all FBA members to participate as judges.
• In May 2013, the YLD will sponsor the annual U.S. Supreme Court Admission Ceremony
for all eligible FBA members who are interested in becoming admitted to the Court. The event includes a reception that has traditionally been attended by Supreme Court Justices.
• In summer of 2013, the YLD will hold its annual Summer Law Clerk Program
. The program will begin with a kick-off event, generally including roundtable, question and answer events at the Department of Justice, Department of Defense, and Capitol Hill where law clerks can interact with federal lawyers from various federal agencies and departments.
• The YLD is collaborating with other Sections and Divisions to provide current, substantive programming.
• The YLD actively publishes articles of interest to younger lawyers in The Federal Lawyer and Divisions Digest. We invite all young lawyers to submit articles.
The YLD is looking forward to an active year, and I am honored to serve as its Chair. Please contact us
to become involved.
Kelly T. Scalise
Chair of the Younger Lawyers Division