Message from the Chair
David A. Goodwin
Gustafson Gluek PLLC
Join the Division
Dear Younger Lawyer Division Members, I look forward to another exciting year with the Younger Lawyer Division and the opportunity to work with members of the YLD and FBA.
The YLD is a unique and exciting division of the FBA – comprised of over three thousand members from across the country practicing in all areas of law. The YLD board is similarly comprised of members from each judicial circuit and the military. The board members represent a variety of legal experiences and backgrounds. We are dedicated to providing programming and activities to support the diverse interests of our members. We encourage all members to participate in our programs and initiatives. We are also committed to continuing our recruitment and retention efforts. Further, we serve as a resource to serve as liaisons to FBA Sections and Divisions looking to collaborate with younger lawyers.
The YLD is looking forward to another active year, and I am honored to serve as its Chair. I hope you are able to take part in the following YLD activities:
• On March 31-April 1, 2016, the YLD will host the 2016 Thurgood A. Marshall Memorial Moot Court Competition in Washington, DC, in conjunction with the FBA’s Mid-Year Meeting. This competition focuses on emerging issues in federal law and features teams from law schools across the county, culminating in a final round held in the Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces.
• In the summer of 2016, the YLD will hold its annual Summer Law Clerk Program. The program affords law students and new attorneys an opportunity to meet and interact with attorneys who practice throughout the federal government. The program begins with a kick-off event, and then proceeds throughout the summer with a variety of panel discussions and agency visits. This year, FBA Sections will also partner with us to organize subject matter panels.
• In 2016, the YLD will sponsor its annual U.S. Supreme Court Admissions Ceremony for all eligible FBA members who are interested in being admitted to the Highest Court. The event includes a reception traditionally attended by Supreme Court Justices.
• At the FBA Annual Meeting, the YLD will sponsor its awards luncheon. The program will include the presentation of the Younger Federal Lawyers Awards and the Robyn Spalter Award. The program honors outstanding younger lawyers and those who support the YLD.
• Continuing collaboration with other Sections and Divisions.
We welcome your participation in some or all of these events as well as your participation in the Division throughout the year. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have questions about how you can become more active in the YLD. Please follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/#!/federalbarYLD?ref=ts and Twitter at twitter.com/federalbarYLD.
I look forward to working with you to make 2016 a successful and productive year for the YLD.
David A. Goodwin
Chair of the Younger Lawyers Division
New YLD policy change regarding endorsements.