Join the Labor & Employment Section for this two-day conference where leaders in employment and labor law from around the nation will present on timely and important topics for practitioners, including EEOC and NLRB updates, sex and sexual orientation discrimination, USERRA, immigration law, and more.
for engaging tax law topic discussions and more information on expected panels such as "
Three Ways to Register:
1) REGISTER ONLINE
2) Print the registration form
and fax to 571-481-9090
3) Print the registration form
and mail to Federal Bar Association, Attn: 2017 Labor & Employment Conference, PO Box 79395, Baltimore MD 21279
|Thursday, March 9
Registration & Continental Breakfast
- Corie J. Tarara, Chair of the Labor & Employment Section
Cutting Edge Sex Discrimination Issues: LGBT Coverage Under Title VII
- Eduardo Juarez, Supervisory Trial Attorney, San Antonio Field Office, U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission; President, National LGBT Bar Association
USERRA: What Matters in Protecting Our Service Members' Employment Rights
- Paul A. Marone, Senior Investigator, Philadelphia Region, Veterans' Employment and Training Service, Department of Labor
- Wm. Kenan Torrans, Deputy Director for Compliance Programs, Office of National Programs, Veterans' Employment and Training Service, Department of Labor
Breakout: Bankruptcy Issues for Employment Lawyers
- Moderator: Hon. Craig A. Gargotta, Bankruptcy Judge, United States Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Texas
- Mary Cordell, Senior Investigator and Bankruptcy Coordinator, Employee Benefits Security Administration, U.S. Department of Labor
- Sylvan S. Lang, Jr., Attorney, Lang Law Firm
Perspectives from the Bench: How to Argue an Effective Case
- Moderator: Hon. Betsy Chestney, U.S. Magistrate Judge, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas, San Antonio Division
- Hon. Henry J. Bemporad, U.S. Magistrate Judge, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas, San Antonio Division
- Hon. David Ezra, Senior District Judge, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas, San Antonio Division
- Hon. Mark Lane, U.S. Magistrate Judge, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas, Austin Division
- Commissioner Charlotte A. Burrows, U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
How to Work with In-House Employment Counsel: Tips for Both Plaintiff and Defense Attorneys
- Moderator: Phillip M. Kitzer, Attorney, Teske Micko Katz Kitzer & Rochel, PLLP
- Melissa M. Heidman, Vice President & Associate General Counsel, Noodles & Company
- Brittany Mayer-Schuler, Vice President of Legal Affairs, Elior North America
- Matt Revord, Senior Vice President, Chief Legal Officer General Counsel and Secretary, Potbelly Sandwich Works
||Hot Topics in the Intersection of Immigration and Employment Law
In collaboration with the Immigration Law Section of the FBA
- Moderator: Irene Steffas, Senior Attorney, Steffas & Associates, P.C.
- Elizabeth (Betty) Stevens, Attorney at Law; Assistant Director, Office of Immigration Litigation, U.S. Department of Justice (ret.)
- David A.M. Ware, Founding Partner, Ware Immigration
Breakout: Labor Law Primer for the Employment Practitioner
- Gregory L. Peters, Shareholder, Seaton, Peters & Revnew, P.A.
||Nearly One Year In: Trends, Developments, and Tips for Navigating the Federal Defend Trade Secrets Act
- Rex L. Buxton, Associate General Counsel, Lifetouch Inc.
- Joel P. Schroeder, Partner, Best & Flanagan LLP
|Friday, March 10
||Registration & Continental Breakfast
||Practical Ethical Issues in Employment Litigation and Advising
- Moderator: Corie J. Tarara, Shareholder, Seaton, Peters & Revnew P.A.
- Edmond S. Moreland Jr., Shareholder, Moreland Law Firm, P.C.
- Tonia Lucio, Partner, Richards Rodriguez & Skeith LLP
- Ted Smith, Attorney, Cornell Smith Mierl & Brutocao, LLP
Updates from the NLRB: Something for Everyone
- José R. González-Nogueras, Partner, Jiménez, Graffam & Lausell
- M. Kathleen McKinney, Regional Director, New Orleans Regional Office, National Labor Relations Board
||Religious Discrimination in the Workplace - Elimination of Bias
- Roula Allouch, National Board Chair, Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR)
- David Rivela, Senior Trial Attorney, U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
||Boxed Lunch Available
A discounted block of rooms has been reserved for conference attendees at the Hilton Palacio Del Rio at $229/night (plus state and local taxes). The group rate is offered through the weekend, based on availability.
Reservations must be made by 5:00 p.m. ET on Friday, February 17, 2017 to receive the discounted rate.
Call 210-222-1400 and refer to the "FBA 2017 Labor and Employment Conference" to reserve your room. You can also reserve your room within the conference block online.
Contact Heather Gaskins
if you are interested in sponsoring this conference.